Monday, March 4, 2013

I could not be more frustrated at the department


 The department has responded to our offer of 75 yuan per 50 minutes- that's 150 per two hours. That's 25 yuan more than what we are normally paid. By the way, 25 yuan is equal to 4 bucks. 4 dollars more for 4 extra hours of work.

This is all about their new flagship class program that is supposed to bring the university great glory... but it revolves around us coming up with the lesson plans and teaching the students. Were we told about it ahead of time? No. Were we talked to about what our opinions might be? No. 
This was my response, "The class is a lot more work than what we normally do, and that's an offer of about the same amount of pay, plus we'd have to start right away. That's too much work for such little pay- about a month's worth of pay for what amounts to more than 30 weeks of class, plus working with the other teachers to make sure the students don't have repeat lessons and all the double lesson planning? I'm rather offended at the offer. No way."
It is so much more work than what we normally do. It is working together, all of us, to plan 5 intense lessons for students for the same pay?
No. No.
I feel extremely frustrated. I told them no. If they try and force me to take extra classes, I'm out. This department has tried a lot of manipulative games this year, lots of promises that did not come true (see my pay last semester, arriving a semester late than what was promised), tried to force us to have double classloads for no extra pay (when they add more pay to their own Chinese teachers if they do such a thing, which I was informed about by a Chinese teacher), tried to play us all against each other, and tries to guilt us into teaching extra classes.
None of this happened last year. I don't know what changed. But I do know that if you are coming to this university to teach, be prepared to fight the department with your contract every step of the way. You do not have to teach doubled-up classes. If you say no or argue with a contract-breaking arrangement, it is the department's fault, not yours, if someone else is assigned such classes, no matter what the Dean tells you. If they say they will loose face by not having someone teach an extra class that they did not tell you about beforehand and originally planned to pay you less than what you are already paid, you can say no.  You will have to push and shove the department, which I fear hinders what is otherwise a very enjoyable teaching experience.
I'm writing to Betsy. This is… no. No. I feel insulted and manipulated and though I have said no, I feel like somehow this class will go on the other girls. 
I hate this feeling. But I've said my piece: "No way". 

No comments:

Post a Comment