Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chinese at Dinner

So often I meet with Candy, who gives me fun little activities on the side of teaching, like speaking to 400 people or speaking to 100 people. She's not related to the college, but the speaking is fun practice, as I've learned how to draw things out and that I will always take more time than I think I am going to in public presentations.

Tonight, she invited me to dinner after a meeting with her, and I accepted. We went somewhere near campus (because Ann and I have movie-grading nights), and had fried hot-pot- instead of soup, they fried all the stuff for you. It was quite tasty.

As we were eating dinner, I realized I was having more conversation with her husband than I usually do- normally we sit in silence, but today I tried to speak more to him, and we had more communication. And I was able to read a sign. All by myself. It's the little things that encourage me that I am learning Chinese, even if it is not near as quickly as I had hoped, or even if I do no think I am.

In weather related news, I am more and more tempted to call for a slumber party if it means I will be warm after a few hours. Last night I wore five shirts to bed, thick socks and two pairs of slippers, two pairs of pants and had three covers underneath me with a sheet, a blanket, a comforter and a sheet on top of me, and I was... not cold. Not warm. But not cold. I miss insulation. I miss insulation a lot.

Also with the wet rain comes the humidity- I can no longer get things to dry in my bathroom. Going to have to use the drying closet plus the air-conditioner now.

In cleaning news, this weekend I did major cleaning, but I still have to vacuum- my apartment is the only one without one. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment