Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day Three

The next day we got up early in order to prepare ourselves for the early breakfast.

This day at the fair we were supposed to hand out flyers. We did, many people asking to take pictures with us. Strange dancing women came up to me and asked to take my picture, so I let them- in exchange for a flyer.

The lunch for this day was a gravy soup sort of deal. There was also a lot of fried food.

We hung out at the hotel for even later, but I did allow myself time to nap. At 5pm the driver was told to entertain us so he took us to a store- presumably anything we wanted, he would buy. We wanted very little; only two waters between the four of us.

Then the dinner was outside- we had kababs. Ann and I were on one end of the table, Julius and the driver next to Lou and Adam. Julius and Adam were having a good time drinking with each other and talking, and the conversation was fun to listen in on. Lou would translate. The men all got lamb testicles to eat- apparently women are not allowed to eat them for they make men more attractive to women. As Ann and I had just attracted many female high school students earlier in the day for photos and flyers, we decided it was because we didn't need any extra help.

The night continued to be very much pleasing Adam- Julius called some pretty women he knew to come to KTV (karaoke) for us, but especially seemed to be pushing them towards Adam. While Adam was being seemingly pushed towards the women, I noted he was nothing cordial towards the women, asking them things like what work was like and the life they had lead rather than if they had a boyfriend.

Ann and I did not go to KTV- we were both tired, and KTV is a lot more of being forced to drink and sing in a loud environment. The men were afraid we didn't understand their culture (this is something that happens in business a lot). We tried to assure this was not the case (and besides, we're teachers, not businesswomen), but they wouldn't have it. So finally I told Lou, "I'm on my period. I need to get back for supplies and I'll be too uncomfortable to keep singing."

His face fell at how direct I was, and he translated- not a direct translation, but they accepted it. It was a complete lie, and the only time I have ever used "my period" excuse in my life (so far), but it was good and this way we didn't pass out in the KTV booth from tired and alcohol.

At this point, Lou went to the KTV afraid that Julius might actually call hookers. Julius did not, but Ann and I were still a little concerned about the situation. It was rather strange, but it would soon be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment