Wednesday, June 27, 2012

You don't even want to see the videos I made of myself telling me never to drink again

I'm a little tipsy right now- at 5:30am June 27. Drinking culture in China is a whole 'nother ball game- if you don't drink, you offend your host. Still, I have plans on how to tone back the drinking for next time- while I didn't do anything stupid, and I certainly don't have a hangover, this drunkenness is not something I want to repeat.
 
My air conditioning stopped working for a while- two weeks, and the apartment temperatures would soar beyond the 100 degrees of outside. It was pretty brutal, but the conditioning seems to work now. Even though it drips.
 
The other side effect of having my window open is that mosquitoes decide my apartment is their playground- not nearly as bad as Ann or Will, but certainly bad. I was having trouble sleeping- I'm starting to learn to sleep through it- but I did buy a mosquito net to help aid my case.
 
I have found out two things recently: I am home July 1, which is half a day before Ann is (poor Ann!), and I will not be living in my apartment next semester.
 
Which has it's ups and downs.
 
Downs: I am unsure if I'll get a big room or something that is painfully like a dorm.  I paid for internet for this apartment for next semester already, the space of fitting many people is excellent, my hand chair resides here, I think I have to leave my stuff in boxes for next year, I'm unsure of where to mail stuff, there will be a lady coming into my apartment to mop and not do much else. MY BATH, SHE WILL NOT EXIST NEXT SEMESTER. (And I bought the bubble bath stuff, too. :( )
 
Pros: I would be locked in at 11pm, but also with the Australian teachers when they come, which is awesome. This is assuming that the Australian teachers will reside in the same place they have- with 8 foreign teachers they may actually go somewhere else. There's a sweet TV that comes with the apartments, the linens are changed constantly, the towels are washed, there is usually a kitchen area (if it's the big apartments).  It comes with its own hot plate (I already bought one), it is cleaner than these apartments, there's an actual counter space in the bathroom, and the bed is softer (but not as big).
 
I think I'm disliking the idea mostly because I feel settled already- I was picturing next year in this space, with these items, with this apartment. (Punching bag, dangit, how will I transfer you?) But for now, I think I should focus on what's really important- grading.
 
I'll work on transferring my stuff later. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment