Sunday, June 30, 2013

Best news

I tried to submit my grades yesterday. 

I was told by the dean I am not allowed to fail students for cheating. If I fail students, it has to be explained to the people in charge of Minsheng college, and those people will make us redo the grades. And I'll be gone from China, so...

So my students are not allowed to fail. 

Does it matter that I teach them? I feel like nothing more than a pretty foreign object this year. In this university, where there's little pay, where there's no support from Beloit, where we're told, "Dance" and every time there's a problem or something like this, we're told, "Ah, this is Chinese culture". So I can't get mad, because that's unfair. 

My students all cheated on exams and on their papers and I can't punish them for it. No wonder they didn't care. 

In other news about the university, I was told by a teacher that the Chinese teachers have yet to be paid this year, and that the University holds onto their teaching certificates in another city. That's scary. If the teachers want to leave, they can't- their teaching certificates aren't in their hands. That's straight up messed up. I'm glad I'm leaving in two days. This university scares me, and the direction it is headed in is not one I want to be a part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment