Sunday, June 23, 2013

My bosses all quit and nobody told me

Ann’s here! It’s been a fun week.

And she’s found out things I wish I had been told by the department- that there is nobody working for the office anymore.

Mr. Ma, our boss, has left with Mrs. Ma for foreign language college. They work there now.  The only people left are Jackie and Jin, and they were all that remained halfway through the semester, if not the year.

That explains why suddenly the departments and deans were breathing down our necks, trying to get us to do more work for free. I wish someone would have told me my bosses had been replaced. But now next years teachers, I’m not sure if they’ll work for the office or if they’ll work for the department itself.

Good news for the teachers next year- they’re trying to improve the pay. Which is good, as the pay at Heda is the lowest I have ever heard of. Most places pay 6000rmb per month- this university pays 4000. So if the pay increases, I’d be very happy for the teachers next year.

There was a lot of fighting with the department which now makes sense given that our bosses weren’t there to help us out anymore. It’s just Jackie and Jin, and it must be difficult for both of them to run the office between them. I don’t envy them at all.

This also makes sense as to why Victoria University people were looking into making the space their own- the office doesn’t have the amount of people, so they’re going to downsize.

Another thing to keep in mind is that at least it’s not Oya college. The teachers who work directly for Oya college usually live in Zhengzhou and are overworked, promised English Majors and given non-majors in class sizes of 80+.


I’m not sure what will happen to the teachers next year. I’m not sure at all. But I hope there will be more people in charge, and more people working for the office that loans us out to different colleges. Otherwise I’m afraid Jackie’s going to die of stress.

(Want to make it clearer how things normally work: Office owns us. Loan us out. My fights have been with the people I have been loaned out to. Not having bosses explains why they were unavailable when I needed them to back me up this past year).

No comments:

Post a Comment