Monday, June 10, 2013

Last Hurrah

That's where I am right now. Knowing I'm leaving actually has given me a lot of motivation back- the end kind of drags for a bit. Things have picked up; and I'm thinking of things to take back with me, things I can do, things I can see. 

Mostly there's a bit left before I return home. 

Some things I need to sell- a keyboard, my free weights- they can't be taken home with me. Or else I'll be so over the weight limit it hurts. 

Other things can stay- books, papers, dishes, my oven- I can give those to Callie and Jenny, who will be here next year. 

Other things have to go- papers, markers, food- there's no place for them. 

Other things have to come with me- pictures, books, computer, my stuffed beasts that mom does not want me to bring home, of course!

I have to grade, I have to get things ready. My final exams have been sent, so it's preparing asap for the incoming swarm of essays and exams that will hit after the 20th. How lucky for me! As long as I prepare, there will be no problems. I will just grade and input grades, and that will be the end of that. 

I have to pack, of course. That'll be...fun. 

And of course, there is shopping. What can I buy in the land of cheap goods? What can I take back with me? 

This is what I mean by "last hurrah". I've looked at many things, including a bass clarinet (500USD instead of the usual 1200) or a clarinet (80USD) or microphones for recording things, but I've been pretty good about saving and not spending. But now I'm looking and seeing I only have two real weeks left, maybe three, and at this time, well, what do I really want? What would be good to have?

Is there anything? 

The danger, of course, is a couple of things. Things may not be real, they may only be good fakes. Or there are things I'm looking at that sound good but actually aren't- ipads, for example. I think they could be useful, but is it really worth it right now? 

No. Even if they are only $200, that's a sign they are knock-offs, refurbished, or stolen.

Microphones? Well.... 

I think my family should play a game. What things do you think Eaafy has bought on Taobao? 


(I can tell you the winner: ME. I AM THE WINNER. I BOUGHT ALL THE THINGS.)

No, but seriously, I'm looking at cheap stuff currently that I think would be helpful in freelance work for summer seasons when I'm not teaching. Microphones are great for recording audiobooks. So at least it is an investment!

And I can honestly say that I bought these for work-related purposes on my taxes. Because I did. Granted, I'm not going to say anything on my taxes until I've looked them over and made sure it's legal. 

That's my life right now, enjoying surprise cool showers, waiting excitedly for Ann, trying to get rid of stuff, trying to invest in my life- all very exciting, though boring things. 

Before my family says anything I want to say that yes I've looked into the budget and my students are going dutch for our class dinner so paying for these is not costing me anything extra so please do not say, "are you spending your money wisely" because I am. I am spending money... for the future!!

And because I love taobao. 

The end.



No comments:

Post a Comment