Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Funny Story

Today one of my students saw me outside of class, and she said she'd gone to a meeting to join the party. "The Democratic Party," she told me. 

I paused, and asked her, "Are you sure you don't mean the Communist Party?" 

"No, the Democratic," she said again. I paused- I didn't know the Democratic Party was active, nor did I know if it was allowed to have meetings. Was she telling me this because she wanted me to know she was rioting?

"Is that the current party?" I asked her, and she nodded enthusiastically.

"Ah. That's the Communist Party. You just told me you were a Nationalist." 

She paled and shook her head. "No no no no no!" she cried, laughing at her mistake. "Communist Party. I'm trying to join the Communist Party!!" 

She will never mix up those words again. Which is good, I think. 

I hope she makes it. It's a lot of prestige to be in the party, and they treat their members well. You have to work hard, but many students find it's worth it. So I hope she gets in. 

In the Communist Party, that is. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment