Monday, April 22, 2013

Frustrating Class

Sometimes I get so frustrated at my classes that I want to scream. 

I have one class who hasn't been doing their in-class assignments. Normally, if this was the first class, I'd correct the lesson plan, figure out what's not working, and give them more time to do the assignments. But this isn't the first class- they're my last class. The other three classes do their assignments (in class assignments), answer my questions and seem to have enough time- this includes the transfer class, which have the least amount of understanding of the group. 

This class, though, just has refused again and again to do the in class work. This work was the same assignment last year, with four different classes; this year, three classes did the assignment: spot the differences in the American and British versions of the office. Anything. Anything you can. Don't care how big or how small. 

Usually if a class gets stuck, I ask them why they liked a version better, and that is a good place to start. 

But this class was silent. Nothing. Nothing at all. They told me it was because America and Britain are the same. 

The whole point of this unit is to figure out little differences in culture, to see that foreign countries are not the same. Is it useful to their test taking? I dunno. Nobody gave me a syllabus. Nobody gave me materials or a book. I had to make it all from scratch. Hours upon hours spent editing, writing plans and coming up with materials- yeah, it was not too fun.

The next week, I made a chart and mentioned to them the categories they were to look for. Only half the class turned in that assignment, and only half of the halves were done. It was extremely disappointing. 

This week I got a call from a student, asking to take the 3rd of May off. I thought we did have it off, but found out we don't. So I tell my students today we will have class. This does not seem to settle well with them. 

Later, Ruth and the monitor appear. I know Ruth- she was a good friend of Ann. They both start talking about how it's the only class they have and how I should cancel it for them. Their other teacher canceled classes, so they can get an extra three days if they do it. 

I, however, will still have to teach on Friday. So it makes little difference to me. This class is the class who actively doesn't do assignments in class, who say America and Britain are the same, who don't behave well. They need the most help with their listening, so canceling a class is a big no way. 

So the bargaining for the students began:

Monitor: Give us an in-home assignment
Eaaf: No. You don't do the assignments in class, I can't trust that you'll do the assignments at home. 
M: Let us make up the class.
E: No, I know how that works- you are not obligated to come.
M: Let's reschedule the class
E: Once again, you would not be obligated to come. Nobody would come. Can you promise me that everyone would come?
*Ten second pause, monitor is uncomfortable*
Ruth: Of course we can promise!
E: Nope.
Ruth: We're friends! Do this as our friend!
E: This isn't friends. You're coming as my students to a teacher.
R: It's a cultural difference. 

At this point, I realize they're using the friendship to try and get a favor, which is the Chinese way. 

E: No. This class needs help. The exams were not what I expected, and I need to make sure we don't fall behind and we get better. Meeting once a week is better than making up a class. 
R: We did poorly because the exams are not the Chinese exams. Your exams had too many accents! They have normal conversations!
E: What is a normal conversation?
R: Two people speaking standard English slowly and clearly. The news is also clear.
E: Well, I'm sorry, and I know that not all exams are like that.* We will have class. Look, you two girls have done the assignments, but your classmates have not. They don't do the assignments. And I know that it isn't hard, because the other three classes are able to do these assignments. Yours was the only class who didn't. Your class needs the extra class.
R: Maybe it's because they don't understand. They can't do two things at once, they can't write and listen. 
E: Then we should practice that on the 3rd.
R: Maybe it's because you became nicer. If you get mean again they'll be mad. 
E: I'm nicer?
R: Yes! This year you spoil us. Maybe the students see the class as relaxing and don't try as hard.
E: I should be stricter? Is that what you're saying?**
R: We are really sorry. Last week, when we turned in the paper, many of us were really sorry that day. We love you. 
E: But you weren't sorry the week before, when you guys did the same thing and nobody turned in or answered anything. Why weren't you sorry then? 
R: We were sorry. 
M: Can we cancel the class?
E: No. It will be on the 3rd.
R: The students will bear a grudge against you. 
E: What?
R: They will be angry with you. 
E: (pausing to think) Well, I'd rather have them be angry and have good listening skills than be happy and be bad. 
R and M laugh a little: You're really a good teacher. 
E: Okay. We'll have class on the third.
R: Please, no. We can't. 
E: Yes. We will have class on the third and if the students don't come they'll fail their assignment for that day. It's their choice.
M: No. Please. 
E: Okay, here. You will either have class for 4 hours on Friday, on the 10th (from 10-2) and you need to schedule that time, or you will have class on the 3rd. 
M: 4 hours!?
R: What about the afternoon? 
E: I don't believe anybody will show up in the afternoon.*** They will see it as optional. 
M: Let's reschedule the class on Monday
E: Nope, I can't do that. four hours straight or nothing.
R: We will talk to our classmates. 

I feel a little angry. I feel very upset; Ruth pulling the friendship card is what I'd expect of China. I guess I didn't realize our friendship was based on favors, and I'm not sure that she'd done me any favors, either. Usually my favors are from other people. So she's done me no favors and is suddenly asking for the biggest one- asking me to cancel a class that needs to have a class, a class that has misbehaved, and there's no benefit for me. I still have to wake up at 8. I still have to teach.

I guess this is the downside to calling your students friends. I'm not sure what more to say other than I'm really hurt, and hurt because I should have known better.



*I specifically changed the listening materials on my exam to have standard American and standard British accents. Last year there was a heavy Spanish accent that my students didn't understand, so I nixed that for this class. Also why we did accent listening earlier this semester.
** I have been much more relaxed about teaching this year mostly because I don't have the survey course again, which is me desperately trying to cram in as much info as possible into their brains because I don't have a book or guide to tell me what the students need to know.
*** I did have a class Friday afternoon. Many students would skip the class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment