Monday, October 17, 2011

October 15th blog

So. I never thought my major in music would really be useful for anything. I know that’s horrible, but I got it because I would have the classes for it, and I did like music a lot. Even if by the end of the major I felt that I wasn’t good, or that I really wouldn’t be able to do anything, it had been a fun trip.

Well, it turns out having a music major has suddenly enabled me to meet a community of people I wouldn’t otherwise.

Last night at English corner, a trumpeter introduced me to his teacher, who teaches singing. She sang a traditional Chinese song about picking grapes. She was so good, and it was delightful to meet her. She gave me her e-mail address, too. It’s strange, but fun that suddenly I have found people in music in China, not just the English majors that I thought I would meet.

Then today, I helped a girl pronounce Italian and English for her singing. She doesn’t go to this college, but she is old friends with someone who does. So I gave her an idea of how Italian sounded (it wasn’t anything far beyond what I had pronounced before), and English I was okay with (both pieces were Handel, for anyone who is interested). As I looked through the pieces I kept wanted to be singing again, to be learning the piece of music. I don’t really care about performing it, but I wanted to sound it out against a piano as I listened and counted.

That was more fun than I anticipated! Maybe I could get a job helping music majors pronounce English?

No comments:

Post a Comment