Monday, November 14, 2011

Gulou weekend adventure

Weekends.

It’s very tempting on the weekends to stay inside and chill (and write lesson plans), but yesterday I went to Gulou, which is an area that is kind of the center of the city. It’s more for tourists (a student told me of a different area to visit) and is famous at night-time for the night market, which is a bunch of little stalls selling anything from giant fans to incense to toys to books to food.

But I went in the morning, mainly for one thing- there’s a giant supermarket there, and it sells cheese. Ann and I traveled to the cheese land, looking at many things like small ovens, electric blankets, shampoo that came with a complementary mug, giant teddy bears (it seems to be a popular item over here, bears the size of people). In the end, I got cheese and found some ham. The meat here often tastes the same as dog food in the states smells, but you know, it’s ham. It’s meat. I’ll deal with that, and if I really wanted meat, I’d head somewhere else.

Cooking for myself is not something I’d really thought about- I could, but I’d probably have to buy more than a microwave. Or maybe a tea kettle would be fun. These are all things that could happen, but I currently see no reason to have a tea kettle or to have a oven. But it’s nice to know I’m not limited here.

No comments:

Post a Comment