Saturday, November 19, 2011

Preparing for tutoring and presentations

I've offered to help out a school as a guest lecturer.

Oh boy.

Remember, I've got nothing but a B.A. going into China. If anything, I've learned to teach in a sink or swim environment. And that being said, I'm not teaching the more difficult classes (which would be writing). I'm teaching listening, where anything we do is listening. Or I'm teaching history, where I just assume nobody understands and send them the notes to study. Or conversation, which is so basic it hurts.

So, I'm going to do a lecture on Thanksgiving and related food words. I've been pulling pictures (and citing them, that hardly ever happens in China, and when I showed the woman who's helping me put this together, she was confused as to why I would have a works cited page). Essentially, I'll speak, attempt easy, simple English to 200-300 students and officials, play a game of "what is this?", and get photos taken with students. I already had my conversation class take photos of me.

So I'm preparing for that; my powerpoint needed revised.

Also I'm going to intensively practice English with someone else. One a day for 2 weeks, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment