Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Apartment

One day I'll post pictures. I actually forgot my camera cord. Sorry guys.

Here's what I originally wrote about the apartment:

I see why it is free. It is very spacious, and I have a sofa. Also an empty water jug, I wonder what I do with those? A TV that isn’t plugged in, a socket to my fridge that is coming out of the wall, internet that isn’t connected (for now), dust everywhere, bed as hard as planks of wood, chairs that are falling apart, dust everywhere and I don’t think anyone has cleaned. My ceiling is far too high even to reach for dust. I’m not putting anything in the drawers until I’ve wiped them down.

Paint is peeling, things could stand to be better cleaned. That will be my project for today. That and getting laundry soap.

As I look around more, I realize I have inherited a very interesting bookshelf. Most of it is English teaching, but also an introductory course on Mandarin. I look forward to this...

Now, I can say my apartment has been fixed a little. The TV is plugged in (Ann's can't even reach the cable socket), I got a new jug of water on the first day, there still is cleaning to do, but I got yet another chair and I also got a microwave! I have no idea where I'll put it, but I have it. Beautiful microwave. Now that I know to ask for bags, I can take things with me and heat them up. (That may not happen- we eat out every meal. Every. Meal. It's still cheap, too).

I have a tub, which I didn't realize was a luxury here until I stayed a night in a hotel, but it is. That's nice, even if it is awkwardly high and slippery and right next to a window in such a fashion that the curtains don't really do any good. Oh well.

I also had a toilet that works, which also cannot be said of any of the teachers- one teacher found his toilet did not flush, and he had to fill up a bucket manually to flush. How exciting, China~!

My fridge is almost as tall as I am. I am pleased with that. I have found more glasses and a lizard skeleton (that the returning teacher pointed to me), and more importantly, more hangers. I needed more hangers, so it is a very welcome discovery. Even if I have to wash the grime off of them first.

The beds, someone pointed out, are just box springs. I don't care, really- it's a comfy enough place to sleep. Even if I only have sheets and a thin blanket. I can buy blankets. I would have a harder time buying sheets.

The location and layout of the place is like this: Go up the stairs in the back, and open the door. Is it nightime? You can't see anything then, and you'll have to guess your way up the stairs. Each time. Every time. On the landing, the path splits three ways. To the right, the bathroom (plus washing machine). To the left, the bedroom. It lacks... drawers, but oh well. Huge windows in the bedroom that overlook the International Affairs Office, so my bosses can watch me sleep.

I keep the curtains drawn.

Then straight ahead is the living room. It could be divided into two rooms if it needed to (and the apartment downstairs are divided this way, with frosted glass and things for privacy), but I have a desk area and a sofa-chair-tv area. Also, giant cabinets. Outside the desk area is a patio for drying clothes.

Yesterday I discovered I have air conditioning. I had forgotten about it.

That's my apartment!

(There were also a lot of bugs. Other than a mosquito who flies around at night, they've all since vanished).

I guess, I really thought it looked shoddy with the tape and writing on the walls, but then I saw how the majority of people in Kaifeng live, and I live well. So I'm quite thankful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment