Saturday, September 3, 2011

The laundry

I was at dinner the other night, and one of the teachers who hadn’t been to China before stated, “You know the one thing I can’t get over? That you,” she pointed at me, “came all the way over here with just a carry on!” And everyone at the table looked at me.

I shrugged. “I guess I didn’t see I needed more than clothes,” I replied. “I did have a briefcase-“ This didn’t seem to be enough. I replied that I had checked the weather, I had space-saving bags, and I could get a lot of my supplies here or if in dire need, I could have them sent to myself from abroad. Someone pointed out that I get a free giant bag and I thought Well, yes, but I didn’t know it at the time and I would have brought such useless items. Books I don’t read, glass figures, things of that nature. Would I have take books, or would I have taken photos, or momentos? Actually, I would have taken a jean-blanket. But I’ll just have to buy a blanket here.

And I’m glad I didn’t take that much laundry. I do it about 2 times a week currently, because my machine is small and can’t take that many loads. I dislike having more clutter than possible, so every dirty piece of clothing makes it into the washing machine instantly (I just don’t turn it on with every piece of clothing). And while the machines, I think, are harsher on clothes than in the states, I can’t help but think that I have enough clothes.

I strongly think I have enough things here. Or at least, I brought enough things here. I needed a knife. Apartment came with one. I needed a bowl, and some more shampoo. I shopped. I needed a water bottle. Again, I shopped. Food? I ask for take out when I’m done eating. So in the end, I have managed to have enough food, enough supplies, and enough clothing to last me a while.

I don’t see that more clothes would have helped with my teaching jacket and wind/rain jacket. I don’t see that I needed to take more things. Maybe socks. Maybe. But still, I think I am okay for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment