Thursday, September 1, 2011

Teaching/Medical adventures!

Teaching:

Two days ago I meet my TA, who was also informed yesterday that she was my TA. That went well. And I found out yesterday I am teaching yet another class; Freshman Listening.

Oh boy. Well, I have a schedule for all but Freshman Listening. Mondays I'm clear. Fridays I'm packed. They've consolidated two classes on Friday for a giant ultra mega class. Meep.

I start the 5th.

Nobody's talked to me about grading but the other teachers. I'm going to talk to my TA soon, I hope about it.

Oh boy.


Medical adventures:

Today for our registration we had to go get medical tests.

This was mainly: lining up.

No, seriously. Lines.

We waited in line to check-in, behind 15 people, only to find our photos weren't good enough, so we went to a brewery next door that happened to have photos. I decided for the day I would look as butch as possible, and I pulled it off really well, I think. I hope that photo ends up on my foreigner's card. I didn't even smile for fear of the femme.

We filled out our forms, got our photos, then went back in line. There were many people who didn't feel they had to wait in line, but we managed to power our way through our positions. There was a teacher whom this bothered.

Our jobs were to find the shortest lines. I got in line for one, but a Chinese doctor lady started saying things at me so I jumped out of line (waiting for someone else to translate, since I couldn't), and found the medical office. We had about 7 places to go; I had followed others into the blood pressure/hight/weight room. The lady doctor signed off on us and then we moved to x-ray. Some guy in a purple shirt attempted to cut me but the doctor was like "I don't have your paper, thus you weren't in line, you're in the wrong place". He left, angry, and I entered.

Even though I spoke no Chinese, most doctors spoke either broken enough English or just moved me to where they wanted me. I found the ECG lady earlier had said I could come in because I was a woman. I went later with other women-folk, and was ticklish. That's not fair at all, guys.

The worst line was the ultrasound, because they split you male-female only right before you entered, and you entered in small groups. You left individually.

The worst thing was the urine sample, because of.... Chinese toilets. I dislike squat toilets, and freeze whenever I need to use one. Also because I hadn't remembered to drink water. I was prepared, at least, and knew it wasn't as pretty as Japanese squat toilets, and I had tissues. One teacher had not known of lack of toilet paper/soap/towels in bathrooms (see: sink and toilet only), and so I gave her some of mine.

Then we had noodles.

But it was far too long for my tastes.

Also, needles.

And also also, I made Jackie get me a cell phone. I had to get the cheapest model I could, because I had just enough money for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment