Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Third Day of Class (Sex Education)

As I'm in room 414/413 and not my original 411, like I had written down, and on the schedule, I'm assuming tomorrow I'm also in this same location. The upside: This class manage to make me a list of names, I was asked questions like the physical difference of Japanese and Chinese people (there is little difference, I think). Apparently my other class told them that I sing, so one of the first questions was about singing a song. So this time I sang Greensleeves, much lower than my other song had been.

I want to point out, the door is never closed all the way. I close it mostly so that I can hear the class. So I'm probably singing in the hall. HEY OTHER TEACHERS HOPE YOU LIKE MY VOICE!

This class managed to understand more about the show than the previous class, which is good.
(I meet with 4 different sections of a class once a week. In a few weeks, I'll meet with 8 different classes for 2 hours, covering three topics total. Lots of repeat material).
Oh, and I got a question about how common it is to talk about sex in America, because a girl sees it on a TV show. I told her that there are two types of people: Conservative, and Liberal, and where she goes in America can determine how comfortable people are talking about sex. I said most people don't actually talk about it, and in polite and sophisticated society, sex is a taboo topic. But when people need ratings on tv (I made this point pretty explicit, saying it was more talked about on TV than in real life by a lot), or are in informal settings among friends and are probably more liberal (like in college), sex can show up as a topic. Personally, I'm not that uncomfortable with the topic of sex, but I know other people can be, and that's why it's a taboo topic. I finished with, if she's talking to someone and they bring up sex, tell them that you don't want to hear about it. They'll understand.


She apologized for asking such an embarrassing question, and I told her I wasn't embarrassed. It was actually a fun kind of question- talking about taboo topics, who they are taboo for, why they are taboo, and how to approach taboo topics and say "I'm uncomfortable". It wasn't talking about sex directly, either, which made it less awkward. It was more, "Are conversations really around that topic?"

So a good question. I have to also answer why I'm not a composer and why I just teach classes.
And why I'm not a singer.

I think I'd like to instead keep answering questions about taboo topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment