Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Day of Class

On Tuesdays I have a class at 3pm (which will eventually change into 12:30pm, but hey, not now). It is in room 401 of the south building. So I tried to get into the room, but someone had to bring me the keys. And then when it was time for the class to be there...

There was no class.

So someone wandered in and spoke Chinese, and I didn't understand, but he went to go find the class I was supposed to teach. So these girls, the monitor and another girl, found me, made sure I had locked up, and took me to room 404 of the North building. I realized there was no map, no projector, and thought, this will be difficult to teach in, if I have to draw all the maps. Still, I did my best, and I filled those children's (young adults, really) full of the differences between Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales (poor Wales) and England (CONQUERER OF EVERYTHING), when someone asked me a question. "What was your college like?"

A strange question, especially because I had had them introduce themselves and if they had any questions, to ask me. And I quickly wondered, and kept tabs on, the fact that I was still in the wrong class. They continued to ask questions until it was break time, and when break hit, I found out: These students were second years, learning conversation. I looked over the book. I'd heard a teacher talk about the particular dialogue over being in Salt Lake City.

I was not sure if I was actually in the right classroom, still, because I didn't think they'd suddenly change my class from Juniors to Sophomores without telling me, let alone change the subject. So the next hour was spent improvising- I did dialogue, where I was one character and people took turns being the other. Then the class and I switched. Then I had them make up their own dialogue, where one was a student and one was a teacher. Finally, I had a group be the example group, and they of course, chose me "I am Eaaf. I am lost."

Oh, guys, you don't know how lost. When I was done, I met Ben, teacher who had been her before, and he took me downstairs. Turns out I had just covered for a teacher who didn't show up to their class, and my classes aren't starting right now as there are transfer students. He pointed out the transfer students, and said someone else's TA said that the transfer students arrive the 19th, like the Freshman. He'll tell the class I'm not their teacher, as he teaches them right after me.

What's really frustrating about this, is when I tried to call my TA she didn't respond, and when she did, she thought she had read the schedule wrong. She has no idea about the transfer students, and she had just assumed things had worked themselves out. I don't know how to best explain to her that no, this is not the case. She was completely right, but we just missed an important detail.

And I'm kinda upset that it got missed, and I'm kinda upset that I had to cover for someone (if I didn't, it'd be easy to say, okay, I'll figure out where it is when my TA gets back to me). I'll find out later how upset I should be at this, I'm just really thrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment